Effective leaders must move beyond the “Great Resignation” and “Quiet Quitting” to address the challenges presented by today’s labor pool.
We are still seeing high turnover rates and inflation isn’t making the battle for talent any easier. Couple that with demographic shifts of Baby Boomers retiring and Gen Y maturing beyond entry level jobs, and we can see how the struggle for talent is real.
Today’s workforce cannot be characterized as “resigned.” In fact, it’s the “Age of ReCALIBRATION.”
Meaning that employees now have stronger preferences about where they want to work, the kind of work they want to do, and with whom they work alongside more than ever before. This is a fundamental understanding of how employees will continue to push further and force the shape of organizational cultures. Leaving leaders with a primary directive from staff:
Step up your culture game with development and F.A.I.R. play for talent.
Faced with not having enough talent to fill jobs, we are also experiencing a growth in employees being disenfranchised or disengaged. The Society of Human Resource Management claims engagement is at its lowest level since 2015 hovering around 32% leaving a staggering 68% of employees disconnected with their current place of employment. 18% of employees are actively DISengaged.
From SHRM: “Engaged employees are ‘involved in and enthusiastic about their work and workplace,’ according to the survey. Actively disengaged employees are ‘disgruntled and disloyal’ because most of their workplace needs are unmet.”
Given that outlook, I suggest leaders focus energies infusing cohesion into their cultures and paying attention to four key areas of workforce trends expressed in the acronym F.A.I.R.
My research into group dynamics with an emphasis on cohesion, proved that the presence of belonging, value, and mutual commitment drives performance through engagement. Oftentimes, organizations may realize up to a 50% increase in productivity and creativity when teams are functioning with a cohesive mindset.